About the course
This course will help you to learn about Linux, which is the best-known and most-used open source operating system. In this course, you will learn to install, configure and maintain an Enterprise Linux system in a networked environment. Basic administrative tasks are covered such as: creating and managing users, creating and maintaining file systems, determining and implementing security measures and performing software installation and package management.
The course also helps you to learn all the fundamental aspects of the Linux Operating System, which includes installation steps, using the Command line interface, administrative privileges, file permissions, scheduling tasks, services in Linux, Meteor.js, setting up the LAMP, phpMyAdmin, WordPress installation, installing Python, and explaining the importance of learning Python. Other topics include detailed network statistics tracking, practical commands in networking, SFTP, host files in Linux, accessing command line on the network host, and learning about programs and a lot more. This is completely an online course, and you can access it from anywhere in the world.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Evaluate Linux as an operating system.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of working with Linux.
- Use Linux command line to complete a series of tasks.
- Compare and contrast Linux differentiation between desktops and servers.
- Demonstrate navigation between directories to access and manipulate files, and basic scripting.
- Create user groups on a Linux system.
- Use a common scripting language in Linux to perform various techniques of cyber security network scanning.
- Implement Linux in a virtual environment.
- Boost your hireability through innovative, independent learning.
- Get a certificate on successful completion of the course.
The course can be taken by:
Students: All students who are pursuing any technical / professional courses related to computer science / Information Technology.
Teachers/Faculties: All computer science teachers/faculties.
Professionals: All IT professionals, who wish to acquire new skills or enhance their existing skills.
Why learn Linux?
Linux powers the vast majority of websites online, primarily because it is an extremely secure OS, and its free to use. Most web servers and servers that provide services run Linux. When you learn Linux, you will be able to understand the way in which many of the servers communicate with users. Linux is used in the majority of the world’s speediest supercomputers. From personal desktops and laptops to the Web server, and data centers to almost every type of hardware runs on Linux. Internet architecture is incomplete without talking about Linux. Linux is free, the open source operating system comes with lots of free software and does not require antivirus.
Almost every hiring manager of a reputed company prefers Linux certified engineer as it has become very difficult for them to find the knowledgeable and experienced candidate for the firm. Therefore, they have started filtering the aspirants, with this as the prior criteria. Furthermore, this translation of the interview calls made to the job seekers clearly illustrates the rising trend of Linux jobs. The encouraging recruiting number has a lot to tell about the openings for Linux jobs in the market. With more than seven in ten managers following the criteria of hiring Linux-savvy employees, itself depicts the count, which is so high. To know about the exact count, one can search the large online job websites and get surprised by seeing the enormous count of Linux Jobs.
- 24X7 Access: You can view lectures as per your own convenience.
- Online lectures: ~7 hours of online lectures with high-quality videos.
- Updated Quality content: Content is latest and gets updated regularly to meet the current industry demands.
Test & Evaluation
There will be a final test containing a set of multiple choice questions. Your evaluation will include the scores achieved in the final test.
Certification requires you to complete the final test. Your certificate will be generated online after successful completion of course.
Topics to be covered
- Linux - An Introduction
In this lesson, you will know what Linux is, how it came into existence and whose contribution in its development?
Along with this, you will also learn about Linux different distributions and distros.
- Installing Ubuntu Linux
In this lesson, you will learn how to install Ubuntu Linux on your system?
- Linux Installation with Windows
In this lesson, you will learn to install Ubuntu in your windows system, as well as you will also learn about UNetbootin.
- Essentials Command Line Interface (CLI) - Linux
In this lesson, you will go to the command line and learn about commands such as "cd", "pwd" and "ls".
- Administrator Privileges in Terminal
In this lesson, you will know what the administrative privileges are in the terminal and what do you use them with?
- Installing applications using apt-get packages
In this lesson, you will learn to install the application with the help of apt-get
- Explaining Ownership and File Permissions
In this lesson, you will know what is the ownership and file permissions in the command line and how do they change?
- Using Touch Command to create new files
In this lesson, you will learn how to create new files by using the touch command.
- CLI Usage - Advanced
In this lesson, you will learn about some advanced commands in the command line interface such as "mkdir", "mv", "cp" and "rm".
- Finding commands and their practical use
In this lesson, you will learn about find command and some of its practical uses.
- Finding information within files - The "grep" command
In this lesson, you will learn how to find something inside the files by using grep command?
- Using Terminal to view running processes and close applications
In this lesson, you will learn about the processes and you will also know what these are and how do they manage it?
- Explaining Services
In this lesson, you will know about services and you will also learn how to use Elasticsearch?
- Scheduling Tasks - The "crontab" command
In this lesson, you will learn to schedule your tasks by using the "crontab" command in the command line interface.
- Understanding IDE (Integrated Development Environment)
In this lesson, you will learn about various types of Integrated Development Environment (IDE) in detail.
- Installing GitHub and setting up the repository
In this lesson, you will learn how to install git hub and how to create a new repository?
- Meteor.js - Getting Started
In this lesson, you will learn how to install meteor.js in your system and how do you add bootstrap to your package?
- Meteor - Setting up Project
In this lesson, you will learn how to set up the Meteor application in your project.
- Setting up LAMP (Linux, Apache 2, MySQL, PHP)
In this lesson, you will learn about Apache 2. Apart from this, you will also focus on PHP and MySQL.
- Host files in Linux
In this lesson, you will learn about the host files in the Linux system and you will also know what these are and how do they work?
- Meteor - Deploying app on Apache Server
In this lesson, you will learn how to deploy your meteor application in Apache 2 server?
- phpMyAdmin - Installation and Configuration
In this lesson, you will learn about phpMyAdmin and you will also learn how to install and configure it?
- Basic Virtual Host - How to create?
In this lesson, you will learn about Basic Virtual Host and learn how to create it.
- WordPress installation on top of Apache 2 environment - How to set up?
In this lesson, you will learn to download WordPress and set up it in the Apache 2 environment.
- Command Line Interface and Installing Python
In this lesson, you will learn about python. Along with this, you will also know what is its basic installation and how its versions are checked?
- Python - Worth learning?
In this lesson, you will learn about modules and also try to understand why python is such an important language?
- Understanding User Management in Linux
In this lesson, you will learn to manage the user account through both the GUI (Graphical User Interface) and the CLI (Command Line Interface).
- Using the terminal to delete users
In this lesson, you will learn how to delete users using the terminal.
- How to add users to a group?
In this lesson, you are going to learn how to create a new group for users?
- Networking - An Introduction
In this lesson, you will know what is networking? How does this work? Apart from this, you will also discuss some of its basic fundamentals.
- Understanding Internet
In this lesson, you will know what is the Internet and how does it work? Apart from this, you will learn about the IP address.
- Looking at practical commands in networking
In this lesson, you will learn some practical networking in the terminal. Along with this, you will learn about "ping" and "ifconfig" command.
- Tracking detailed network statistics - The "Netstat" command
In this lesson, you will learn how to track network statistics by using the "netstat" command.
- Host files in Linux - Revisiting
In this lesson, you will learn about the Linux host file.
- Tracking server requests - The "traceroute" command
In this lesson, you will learn about the "traceroute" command. What is this and why it is used, you will talk about it too.
- Tracking activity on a network - The Network Mapper
In this lesson, you will learn how to do networking tasks in Linux? Apart from this, you will also learn to use Nmap tool.
- Accessing the command line of a remote host - The "SSH" protocol
In this lesson, you will learn how to access the safe shell of a remote host by using the "SSH" protocol.
- Transferring files between machines - The "SFTP" protocol
In this lesson, you will learn to transfer files between two machines, by using the "SFTP" protocol.
- How to set up an SSH host on a local machine?
In this lesson, you will learn how to set up an SSH host on your local machine.
- Learning about programs - The "man" command
In this lesson, you will talk about the "man" command which is a very good tool for getting information about any command.